[Savannah-hackers] Re: Plex86 is THE opensource alternative for VMWare..

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Plex86 is THE opensource alternative for VMWare...
Date: 15 Aug 2002 23:49:39 +0200

"Drew Northup" <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> First, if you have a problem with the way that a web site is administrated
> you need to talk directly to the person that runs that site (namely me, in
> this case).

When I want to speak to projects members, I use mailings-list.
When I have something to request, I contact all concerned persons -
projects members.

> Second, you aren't about to convince somebody to change something by
> threatening to hang them using a public war of words (otherwise
> known as flaming) on a mailing list.  See above.  Our mailing list
> is access controlled for a reason.

"Public war of words"?
Please, quote.

> Third, most of the English language is misunderstood.  This is a
> problem, but most of us manage to deal with it anyway.  I tried to
> write "open-source" instead of "opensource" in the description
> field, but that was too many characters.  Following that, the term
> "free software" sure as hell isn't going to fit into that form space
> on the site.  If you really want that changed that bad then convince
> the Savannah admins to clean up the project space creation code a
> bit more. (When I created the project you weren't allowed to have a
> second "long description" field for some odd reason--I had to make
> due with what was there.)

The better way to get something changed, enhanced, is to request this
 change.
I haven't seen your support request or bug report related to this problem.

> If you would be willing to take a good look at plex86 as a project
> and submit a long description (with the changes you'd like to see to
> the short one) then by all means go right ahead.  However, if the
> fact that we are under the LGPL isn't enough to make people realize
> that we mean "open" as in "libre," then they have another problem
> outright.

The GNU project promotes usage of "free" instead of "open".

While someone register a project with "open" within the name on
savannah, the savannah volunteers ask him if he is agree to replace
open by free.
That the way Savannah contribute to promote to the ideas of the GNU
project.

But, obviously, a project with "open" within the name can be
registered succesfully.

> And also, since (last time I checked) Fastxs.net hasn't taken our
> site down (I working on moving it...) people can always check there
> if they for some odd reason still don't get it.

I do not know what is fastxs.net.

> Forth, and finally: What's this "WE" shit?  If you are representing
> the Savannah site admins then you need to tell me so (out of
> fairness and out of respect--if you see those two things as
> separate).  However, since you did not name yourself as a
> representative of some group, I must respond, "We who?," to your
> comment about "We would be glad if you accept to change opensource
> to free software."

This "we" was part of a canned message.

I'm not representing anything more than myself, but I'm one of the
savannah volunteers.

I absolutely do not feel happy with the idea that everyone should give
his complete curriculum vitae while  submitting a request to
a free project. But this idea seems popular, I already seen this in
the past.
It really piss me off.
Hey, who the f*ck are we to take care about that? What is the
important thing : the request submitted or the identity of the
submitter !!!?

While browsing Savannah (it happens), I seen your description as
"open". Since, now, we spend time to encourage people that register a new
project to use "free" instead of "open", it was not to weird to my mind to
write swiftly a mail to your project asking us to update the
description, if you want to.

In "We would be glad if you accept to change opensource to free
software.", there's no orders, no commands.

> Personal Note: I agree that the terms "Open Source," and "Free
> Software" are often misused.  If you really want to avoid the
> ambiguity you'd need to call it something like "Software developed,
> produced, and used to enhance, defend, and demonstrate the liberty
> of all people," since the term "Software libre"

"Software libre"? In French, I talk about "Logiciel Libre".

> often gets translated into "Free Software" (which to most english
> speakers means "free as in beer").

The GNU Project support the term "Free Software".

[...]

> camp--it is just that my life doesn't revolve around Bill G & his
> friends, so I tend to ignore them whenever possible.  I am in this
> for the project, not for the politics--I keep the two separate with
> good reason.

I do not get the point.

Anyway, the question was just
"Are you agree to replace in your description open source by free?"

It does not sound amazing to me.

Good Bye.

http://savannah.gnu.org/users/yeupou
http://yeupou.coleumes.org