[Savannah-hackers] mldonkey licensing

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] mldonkey licensing
Date: 18 Aug 2002 23:47:27 +0200

Someone reported a potential legal issue about your project, mldonkey,
hosted on savannah.

Apparently, you do not provide a source code's tarball for each
mldonkey releases but only binaries: there's no such source code's
tarball in your download area, neither exists file including pointers to
such tarball somewhere else.

Since you choose the GPL license, you _must_ do so.  See COPYING:

"[...]
 3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software
    interchange; or,

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,
[...]"