[Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Software for Africa - savannah.gnu

From: jean
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Software for Africa - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:56:06 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Jean Jordaan <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: fdl
Other License:
Package: Free Software for Africa
System name: fs-africa
Type: 2

Our project is to co-ordinate the implementation of Free Software as a
technological alternative for Africa.

At a stretch, this could be called a Software Documentation project.
It is really an attempt to foster the emergence of an African Free
Software community, by introducing the potential users and
stakeholders to the tools and networks (technological and social)
that make Free Software a compelling alternative for Africa. Although
there will probably not be running code among the deliverables of this
project, at least initially, it will benefit from Savannah
functionality such as mailing lists, issue tracking, and versioned
document repository. We would like to use the annual Highway Africa
conferences [1] to kick off the project.
[1] http://www.highwayafrica.org.za/

 - We will invite the speakers at the conference to join the
   project, and

 - we will assemble and document the ongoing projects showcased at
   the conference.

This will be only a starting point; we\'ll seek out related projects
and explore how to integrate them into the project community.

This does not exist yet but we\'re working on it.

Other Software Required:

Other Comments:
Contacts:
  Jean Jordaan <address@hidden>