[Savannah-hackers] Re: Debugging in bash 2.05b

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Debugging in bash 2.05b
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:16:35 -0400

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:47:52 -0400, Chet Ramey replied:
 > > I recently noticed in bash 2.05b that the main obstacles to writing a
 > > bash debugger have been fixed (SIGDEBUG stops before a line is
 > > executed, not afer and LINENO reports absolute line numbers rather
 > > than relative to the beginning of a function).
 > >
 > > I picked up the debugging work from about two years ago and have
 > > started working on it. But there is more support inside bash that is
 > > desireable to make a debugger more useful.
 >
 > What kind of changes are you talking about?  My preferred way of doing
 > things is to have patches sent to me.

Chet:

I haven't received comment to my reply to this mail where I suggested
we start a Savannah project and from that we could run a diff against
distributed version of bash to create the patches you prefer. So I
gather this is a reasonable approach.

Savannah folks: Could we then create a CVS project for this then?

In going over old mail in trying to find a copy of my reply of Tue 20
Aug 2002, I came across another piece of mail I sent on a Tuesday: (9
May 2000 08:04:21 -0400 (EDT)) sent to bashbug. I happened to notice
that many of the the changes you asked about above were also sent to
bashbug then. This is the mail that starts...

        Patches to improve information that could be (and is) used for
        debugging.

    Added variables
     BASH_LINENO - the absolute line number in the file.
     [In 2.05 the variable LINENO changed from a relative number to
      the absolute line number -- Thanks!]
     BASH_SOURCE - file name of the script that is currently running.