[Savannah-hackers] possible abuse of resources

From: Ingo Saitz
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] possible abuse of resources
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:58:40 +0200

MoiN

I don't know if this is the correct adress to send this, but I didn't
find a better suited address. Please do forward this to the responsible
people.

The project mldonkey claims to be under the GPL but does not distribute
sources for some parts of their program. They even do this
intentionally. In their CVS repository you can find the file
mldonkey/distrib/Readme.txt which even admits, that this is
intentionally:

> *) What about the sources ? What about the protocol ?
>
> Most sources are available on the savannah WEB site, except the protocol
> files:
>
>   http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/mldonkey/
>
> However, the distribution contains enough information to port mldonkey
> on all systems where Objective-Caml has been ported. In the future, we will
> provide additionnal files with a pseudo-protocol, so that contributors can
> test their changes on a local network before sending them to us.
>
> We will not release the protocol, because we don't want to be accused of
> being the murderers of the eDonkey network. However, since our knowledge of
> the protocol is only partial, we are interested in any information on it.

But the binaries they distribute are linked against the non-free
protokol.

While the author is free to lie about the license, you are not free to
distribute the generated binary. You probably have to remove it till the
author provides the full source for the binary.

    Ingo
--
echo "I love  windows" | tr wisd \\buxi