Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Zaurus Software Index - savannah.gn

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Zaurus Software Index - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:26:09 +0100

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 12:06:21PM +0200, Sven Lankes wrote:
> I'm mailing you directly to see if another submission of the project
> would be sucessful. If not i won't submit it again but register the
> Project somewhere else.

OK. We can discuss your project here in "savannah-hackers" to make sure it
is ready for approval next time you register it.

> > The killefiz.de server says there is no zsi-devel.tar.bz2 file in it. Please
> > register your project again with a working URL to the code.
>
> I'm sorry. Wrong url. http://killefiz.de/zaurus-release.tar.bz2 does
> exist.

Thanks. I've got the code with no problem.

> > Also, I'm not familiar with the "Sharp Zaurus PDA" so please tell us in your
> > new registration whether a user can use it with only free software or
> > not. i.e. Is the "Linux/Java" operating system that comes with the Zaurus
> > free
> > software? Can it be replaced by any other available free operating systems?
>
> I'm not sure what this has to do with a freshmeat like index of
> applications but anyway.

It does not have anything to do, but since you decided to talk about it in
your project registration, I had to make sure you followed Savannah's policy:
  "The space given to you on this server is given for the expressed purpose of
   advancing Free Software (software development, documentation, organizing
   events, system administration of machines etc.). Using it to host or
   advertise non free software is considered harmful to Free Software."

> The ROM that comes with the sharp zaurus is not free. The Sourcecode to
> most of it is available under gpl but i.e. the sd-driver and the java
> virtual machine as well as the included opera browswer are non free.
>
> There is the Openzaurus rom which is 100% free.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

> The Webpage is useful for free software enthusiasts that wan't a 100%
> free machine but it also lists commercial and other non free
> applications and that won't change.

That's OK. I understand that your project will deal with the software used
to run that site and not with the content of that site.

> I still don't get why you're picking on the openness of the zaurus
> itself. The ZSI is a php webapplication and database that runs on
> gnu/linux.
As I said, I was just concerned about the "non-advertisement of non-free
software" policy of Savannah. Since the Zaurus PDA can be used with 100%
free software, there is no problem including pointers to it.

> So does it make sense to submit it again or should i set up a cvs
> somewhere else?

Sure, your project can be hosted here. But you will first have to make a
couple of changes:
  a) Replace pictures/go.gif by other format (PNG or JPEG)
     Sorry, no gif images are accepted in Savannah.

  b) Please put copying permission statements at the beginning of each php
     script. It is not enough to say
   // copyleft 2002 Sven Lankes (address@hidden), see COPYING for details

     In order to really protect your software you should follow the advice of
     the GPL and write the complete copyright notice and the 3 paragraphs
     of the copying permision statement.

Regards,
Jaime