[Savannah-hackers] submission of The Machine - savannah.gnu.org

From: kosik
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of The Machine - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:09:50 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Matej Kosik <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: The Machine
System name: machine
Type: GNU

The aim of my project is to design (write some papers
about it) and simulate a new kind of computer architecture.
This architecture will (hopefully) enable effectively
run Actors based operating system and software above it.

This (hardware) architecture will:

- support the idea of running each actor on its own
  processor
- the processors will be as minimal as possible
- there will be probably many such processors in one system
  interconnected (somehow) to enable message passing among
  actors
- the hardware system should be designed in such a way that
  the things will able to work in parallel (no bottle-necks)
- the operating system above the hardware (the design
  of which is not part of this particular project)
  should be redesigned in order to remove are maximally
  reduce the bottle-necks.
- the operating system should support the wonders of Smalltalk-like
  persistence.

My idea what I will do:

- reading related articles is absolute necessity
  (some things from the authors of the Actors idea)
- designing the machine concept in a way that the result
  of my work will be constructable (the issue of the price
  will be mostly ignored in this stage)
- consulting it with the colleagues - mainly with the one which
  is determined to make an OS above it (he is already working
  in this area some time)
- trying to make a simulation of the model.
- if the previous step succeeds, it will become interesting
  because it will be possible to see how the system behaves,
  performing measurements, ...

Other Software Required:
gcc, autotools, latex, plotutils, dvips (what I am aware until now)

some suitable simulation engine (it is too early to say which),
but probably _gtlog_, which if it will be finished and become
part of the GNU project will be usable.

Other Comments:
Ideas on which this project will stand arose from my discussions
with Michal Kostal <address@hidden> and other people.