[Savannah-hackers] Re: savannah using non-free software?

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: savannah using non-free software?
Date: 20 Sep 2002 12:33:18 +0200

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> >     Google is proprietary software. Is it installed on the GNU
> > machines ?  No. Are we refering to proprietary software by suggesting
> > people to use the Google web site ? This is questionable. To be safe
> > I'd say that we shouldn't refer to online services based on non free
> > software. It's not as touchy as if we indeed installed google on the
> > GNU machines (that would be clearly unacceptable). Nowadays the
> > disctinction between an online service and a software installed on your
> > machine becomes thiner and thiner.
> >
> >     Could we refer to a Free Software based search engine ? Even
> > if less powerfull, that would be ethically better.

For now, I've just make usage of google an option in savannah. The
next improvement in this section will to allow Savannah admin to
choose an extra search engine.
He will have to write in config the basic url, for instance
        http://www.google.com/search?&amp;num=50&amp;hl=fr&amp;q=

We will just add the search term after (in google, it's $q )

Which Free Software based search engine? I wonder if htdig works on
the whole gnu.org domains or only on www.gnu.org.

It would be cool if we could enhance the interface of htdig, but the
list of contributor on this project is so big. It makes me think that
there must be lot of inertia. :(

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<