[Savannah-hackers] [ 101382 ] patent protection?

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [ 101382 ] patent protection?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:01:46 -0400

Support Request #101382, was updated on 2002-Oct-11 01:01
You can respond by visiting:
http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=101382&group_id=11

Category: None

By: arouse
Date: 2002-Oct-11 01:01
Logged In: YES
user_id=10319
Browser: Mozilla/4.79 [en] (Win98; U)

I have an idea which, as far as I know, is novel. I am
opposed to sofware patents and would like to see this
idea freed in some open source way (preferably
copylefted).

I do not claim to have a guarantee of novelty for this
idea as I am not a patent examiner nor am I an
accomplished practioner of the art in question. But I
do believe it would be of benefit to all if it's free
for all and I do believe it is novel as I see none such
as my idea realized nor have I heard of such. But I may
be wrong ('nihil novum sub solem' is an *old* saying).

I do not have the skills or the time to carry the
project forward to completion nor even the
half-baked-but-you-can-see-what-it's-supposed-to-be
stage. I do have the (unenviable) status of being
unemployed and so not beholden to any corporation.

What I would like is a way to 'publish' or 'realize'
this idea so as to establish prior art which, as I
understand it, would preclude any patents by any other
persons. But one thing I would like is credit as in
'based on idea by X' but it is not essential. I
would gain more benefit by is free availability than by
any other means.

So I think Savannah should have some means which
satisfies the conditions that the establishment of
prior art require under the law so that those like me
could safely, legally 'deposit' our ideas and protect
them.

Like the concept of 'copyleft' why not start an
anti-patent service?