[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of FSF Online Ordering and Membership

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of FSF Online Ordering and Membership Site - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:51:17 -0500

Mathieu Roy wrote:
> address@hidden said:
>
> > A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
> > This mail was sent to address@hidden, address@hidden
> >
> > Bradley M. Kuhn <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> > License: affero
> > Other License: BTW, it should probably say: \"Affero General Public License
> > V1\" only.

> We ask to people to register GNU GPL v2 and later. So it permits
> upgrading to v3 when it comes out.

I think I didn't state things clearly enough.  Sorry about that!

What I mean is that the following phrase:

  Affero General Public License, Version 1 or later

is not a licensing scheme we want to encourage necessarily.

By the terms of the AGPL, there will never be another AGPL.  The AGPL has
a term which says:

  You may also choose to redistribute modified versions of this program
  under any version of the Free Software Foundation's GNU General Public
  License version 3 or higher, so long as that version of the GNU GPL
  includes terms and conditions substantially equivalent to those of this
  license.

We want to encourage people to use AGPLv1, and then upgrade to GPLv3 when
it comes out.  So, I think we should just say "AGPLv1" in the text.

But, it doesn't matter too much.

> > Affero GPL automatically upgrades to GNU GPLv3 when GPLv3 comes out.
>
> But does it means that you want your projects  being non-GPL v2 and
> only GPL v3?

In this case, yes!  The GPLv3 will have terms like the AGPL does -- to
protect web applications from being used on another public website without
having the source be released.  We *don't* want GPLv2 in the case of web
applications, because it has the so-called "Web application loophole".

   -- bkuhn
--
Learn more about my work for FSF and how you can help:
     http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=bkuhn&p=FSF