[Savannah-hackers] submission of Open Beat Box - savannah.nongnu.org

From: ygingras
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Open Beat Box - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 08:41:48 -0500

Yannick Gingras <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Open Beat Box
System name: obb
Type: non-GNU

Forgive my bad english, I am not a native english speaker.
The project it\'d like to register is Open Beat Box, a virtual
drum machine.  The curent website is : http://openbeatbox.org .

We have a small code tree now in my personnal CVS : http://cvs.openbeatbox.org/

We what to be able to load music samples and assemble them in a
song using a pattern editor.  A basic GUI is already working.
Most open-source drum machins look plains.  Open Beat Box is
already skinable and we want to add an assitant program to
help the artists to create new skins.

A primary goal we have is portability and easy interchange of
songs \"source-file\" between music artists.

Since our primary audience is artists, our program need to be
\"cool\" in order to atract their eccentric taste.  For this purpuss,
we plan to support various features like peer-to-peer song
creation, distributed rendering and the like.

Since you don\'t offer dynamic content, we will probably keep our
curent Zope hosting solution and user our savannah account to host
static files like releases.

The first release should be available soon but in the mean time
you can use web interface of the cvs repositiry to download a snapshot :
http://cvs.openbeatbox.org/

Other Software Required:
we use :
- cSound : http://www.csounds.com/
- Python : http://python.org/
- Qt : http://www.trolltech.com/
- PyQt : http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/index.php

In a previous sumbission I was asked to clarify if csound was free software.
The original csound was released under the MIT license.  Some parts of it are
added under the GNU GPL.  The copyright can be found at this URL
http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/pub/dream/Copyrights .

Other Comments:
The project is called Open Beat Box.  The term open is a pun with the term box
in \"beat box\".  We have no intention to harm the free software movment and in
fact, all our documentation and all our source files have the mention \"free
software\".  Open is only used in the name of the project.