[Savannah-hackers] Re: PHP

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: PHP
Date: 12 Dec 2002 19:58:22 +0100

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> said:

> People who work on PHP, in a license discussion, are telling me that
> PHP produces an output file (much as Bison does) which then gets run.
> I had thought that PHP was an environment, not just a translator,
> and that programs written in PHP were normally run inside PHP itself.
> Can you tell me which it is?

In fact, PHP produces an output file but this one does not really "get
run".

Basic example:

You have a PHP file called hello.php

        <?php
        print "hello dude";
        ?>

Normally, the file hello.php is accessed via a web browser and the web
server ask to PHP to run hello.php.
PHP run hello, and give the output to the web server, which one serves
it to the web browser.
The final content is in this case

        hello dude

As summary, PHP is a scripting language very similar to perl.