[Savannah-hackers] Re: symlink between two projects

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: symlink between two projects
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:02:12 +0100

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> said:
>
>> Hi savannah hackers,
>>
>> I am considering moving source code development of GNU SASL to
>> savannah after noticing that the savannah CVSROOT was available via
>> rsync, but there is one obstacle:
>>
>> GNU SASL includes a copy of Libstringprep in the sub-directory
>> libstringprep/, but Libstringprep is really a separate project (it is
>> distributed in GNU SASL for convenience).  Libstringprep is also used
>> by Shishi (another project of mine).
>>
>> Currently on my own CVS server I have three CVS modules, libgsasl,
>> shishi and libstringprep.  In the libgsasl and shishi modules, I have
>> a symlink for the libstringprep/ directory to the stringprep CVS root.
>>
>> Assuming I move gsasl, shishi and libstringprep development to
>> savannah, would it be possible to setup the symlink on savannah to the
>> three projects can continue to be developed separately?
>
> In fact, since the three projects are separated, a project need to be
> registered for each one.

Yes.

> But CVS does not really fit for symlinks and it can be later poses
> compatibility issue. Is maintaining such a symlink absolutely required?

It would create more manual work if the symlink was not present, and
it would make CVS history less relevant (and as it happens, the
ChangeLog's are built from the CVS history for these projects so it
makes the ChangeLog's less relevant too).  If it is difficult to
maintain a symlink, then don't worry about it.