Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of WEB&CoEdit - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of WEB&CoEdit - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:18:10 +0100

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:19:32AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> Yohann Thomas <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: WEB&CoEdit
> System name: patator
> Type: non-GNU

> The project consists in a collaborative WEB editor. Most of the time, site\'s
> administration is managed by a single person, the webmaster. Our objective is
> to realize a simple editor which gives the opportunity for several people to
> work at the same time on a same document. For this, we need to implement a
> client/server architecture, with a file management on the server in C++ and
> clients applications coded in Java. When a client will be modifying some part
> of the document, the paragraph will be locked for the others. Moreover, each
> user will see who is connected, which part of the document each one is
> modifying and will be able to chat with each other user.
>
> We don\'t have any source code at the moment.

The key question here is to figure out if your project
will run on a Free Software Java suite. We will only host your project
if you accept to develop only Java code that runs with Free Software
such as gcj, gij and kaffe
(see http://www.gnu.org/software/java/ for more
information). It basically amounts to not using Swing or any other features
specific to JDK, which is not Free Software.

Savannah is willing to provide resources and time to
developers writing Free Software that can be used
without the need to ask for permission to a proprietary
software vendor.

Please tell us whether you accept that commitment
Regards,
Jaime

P.S. How about using a Wiki to attain the same goal of patator.