[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] maja wants to be a GNU package

From: fratt
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] maja wants to be a GNU package
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:05:40 +0200

Hi !

I cannot acces the link you give some lines below (approval url).

you could have one of the latest sources here:
http://maja.tuxfamily.org/download/maja-0.0.29.tar.gz

Selon address@hidden:

> Hi,
>
> The following project was submitted to Savannah. It needs evaluation to
> become a GNU package, can you give it a look, please ?
>
> Submitter: <address@hidden>
> Project Full Name:  the Maja project
> Project System Name:  maja
> License:  gpl
> Approval URL: https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=4357

Maja is a set of library intended to create 3D real-time applications as games
or VR simulations.

Maja wants to be multi-threaded libraries for 3D applications as
> games or VR likes that is based on OpenGL (that is in fact not free software
> but is opened). The project is wrote under GNU/Linux and likes to be
> compatible with almost all systems (for now, it's only Linux). It is wrote
> with complete ISO C++. You could find most information about it at

http://maja.tuxfamily.org; but not all links are available for some time
issues).

> Maja tries to use almost all GNU stuffs I could find and use as GNU automake,
> autoconf, libtool... otherwise, it primes on POSIX almost for
> multi-threading, and surely for other things in the future.

newer autoconf 2.52 is used and new automake 1.6

> I have spend 2 years and half creating, studying, developping, maintening and
> making documentation for the project. Docs are not under texinfo, but uses a
> GPL component: doxygen.

I have some UML diagrams made under poseidon, other documents (texts,
schemes...) that are not present on the internet. If you think it will be great
for you to have all of that, just tell me, i will put them on the net.

> Also, the libraries needs some other libraries as lib3ds (cf sourceforge) and
> surely in the future glib, gtk...

pthreads, XFree, OpenGL (Mesa)

> A program using these libraries will work with Maja's functionalities and so
> everything will be hidden to the final user.

> The main lines are genericity, easyness, portability.

> Tools provided are parallelism, window managing, 3D objects (as any viewable
> objects, cameras, menus, hud...), internal scheduling and so on as tools
> needed. Futures will have scenery managing and any other good stuffs. This is
> not intended only to programers as infographists, scenerist and game toolers
> will be needed for making an application threw this project.

We could too make applications from this library as game editors...

> The project is only at an earlier age, the actual version is 0.0.30 and is
> not assumed to work on all Linux stations.

This will change in the future (with almost my knowledge become suffisant and
time is enough).

> One problem to my point of view is that regarding the 3D needs, graphic cards
> are not all well knows as Nvidia ones, so users may install non GNU stuff to
> reach good rates.
>
>  -- the Savannah admin

thank you

Jean-Dominique Frattini (Fratt)