Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Wikiup - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Wikiup - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:10:38 +0100

Hi Hugo,

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 08:19:39PM -0400, Hugo Gayosso wrote:

> I have been looking at adding a Wiki for all GNU projects and GNU
> cfengine specifically.
>
> Do you think Wikiup would be fine for this?

Yes. I was actually thinking of asking for permission to set it up in gnudist
(I no longer have root access there). It follows the GNU webmasters
policy of using only static pages; it can be configured in such a way that
when people enter http://www.gnu.org they will get the static pages, unaware
that there is a wiki behind it. Whoever wants to use the wiki (webmasters with
a password that allows them to do that) would enter https://savannah.gnu.org
and obtain the dynamic, editable, version of the pages.
If someone does not like wiki interfaces and decides to continue to use CVS in
Savannah, they can do that and it coexists well with wikiup.

My main motivation to develop wikiup was to encourage ANSOL collaborators to
help update our website. We use xhtml+xsl via CVS, but most ANSOL members find
it complex and end up not helping with the site maintenance.

> Could it be used together with Savannah (maybe hosted in a separate
> machine).
Sure. I was going to make it run in Savannah, initially with the wikiup
project itself as a test. It is already working in my local machine and I
expect to make a first Beta release today.
I still have lots of work to do (such as to incorporate
http://www.villate.org/parsewiki) but it is already in a phase in which we can
start making tests.

> A friend of mine is willing to donate a machine (old and not high end,
> though) and bandwidth (shared T1) for this purpose.
That would be nice. It could run in Savannah, but since Savannah is need of an
upgrade, it would be even better if we could put this service in a separate
machine.

Cheers,
Jaime