Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of milkbone - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of milkbone - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 06:50:09 -0400

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:56:36PM -0400, Bill Atkins wrote:
> Whenever I try to reregister, it tells me that the project name is taken.
> Here's the link to the source code:
>
> http://download.batkins.com/milkbone/milkbone-0.353-src.zip

Please remove GIF images files from your project and replaced them
by other format (such as PNG or JPEG).

Because of the patents (Unisys and IBM) covering the LZW
compression algorithm which is used in making GIF files,
it's impossible to have free software to generate proper
GIFs.  They also apply to the compress program.

For more information read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

To release your project under the GPL, you should put
copyright notices and copying permission statements
at the beginning of every source-code file, and
include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt).
Put it in a file named COPYING.

Please follow the advice of http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explain the reason behind these recommendations.  For
example, there is an entry explaining why the GPL requires including a
copy of the GPL with every copy of the program:
 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
above.  The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times.  Thank you for your
understanding.

*Normally registering should now work.*

Some users find it useful to use the big re-registration URL provided in
the acknowledgment e-mail you received after registration.

Regards,

Rudy
Web page                    http:/www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms