Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Aleader - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Aleader - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:50:05 -0400

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 02:47:13PM +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > To release your project under the GPL, you should put
> > copyright notices and copying permission statements
> > at the beginning of every source-code file,
>
> i'm pretty sure i already have that.  Here's what i use:
>
> /*
>  * Aleader, Copyright (C) 2003 Joshua Nathaniel Pritikin
>  * This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; licensing details
>  * are available in the file COPYING, found in source distributions.
>  * Aleader source code is available at <http://why-compete.org>.
>  */
>
> Is this insufficient?

No, what should the user read when the COPYING file was lost of
removed (by accident for instance)?

Please read http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html#SEC4

> > and
> > include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
> > (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt).
> > Put it in a file named COPYING.
>
> COPYING is _already_ in the source distribution.  Are you sure
> you're looking at aleader-0.9.3.tar.bz2 ?

My response is a template, so it could be that certain parts of the
answer were already taken care of.  In your case the COPYING file was
indeed ok. :)

> > "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
> > that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
> > the ideals of the Free Software movement.
> >
> > Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS
> > to GNU/Linux?
>
> i don't mind at all.  i prefer "GNU/Linux".  However,
> i just checked and i don't have any references to "Linux"
> _or_ "GNU/Linux" on my web site or in my source distribution.
>
> i guess i just wrote "Linux" in my savannah submission
> as a careless mistake.  (i can re-submit my savannah
> application with only this change...)

When you resubmit make sure u use GNU/Linux in your submittion.

> > For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
>
> Yes, i am already familiar with this argument.
>
> > > To download the source code, browse to
> > > <http://redael.berlios.de/download.html>
> > >

> > > Other Software Required:
> > > i believe that Gtk+ and Gstreamer are typically found in a minimum free
> > > operating system.  At least, i hope so.  :-)
> > >

> > > Other Comments:
> > > See the web site & manual for a detail description of what this software
> > > does and why it is important.
> >
> > Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
> > above.
>
> Please tell me whether i have to change anything besides
> the "Linux"->"GNU/Linux" change in my savannah submission.
>
> Is it really true that i don't have to change anything
> on my web site or in my source distribution?

You have to apply the GPL correctly, thus meaning that you have to add
correct copyright notices.

Kind regards,
Web page                    http:/www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms