[Savannah-hackers] submission of MockBase - savannah.nongnu.org

From: jandhcahill
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of MockBase - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:49:20 -0400

John C Cahill <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: MockBase
System name: mockbase
Type: non-GNU

Thesis:

This is a Java project that focuses on JDBC testing.

There exists a need to test database oriented code without necessarily
involving a database.

Many database oriented software systems are hard to test because the state of
the database is often hard to reproduce in a testing environment. Usually, a
lot of time is spent writing scripts to put the database into a desired state
for testing.

One solution would be to have a Mock JDBC compliant database server which uses
Mock objects. Setup data for the application that is being tested could then be
scripted in a non-database oriented manner.

The project would be to build a Mock database server that would allow use of
Mock objects (see www.mockobjects.com/wiki), and allow the user of the Mock
database server to control data that is returned to the application that is
being tested via a scripting mechanism. The Mock database server would also
need to process SQL in a meaningful manner.

I basically view this project as being complimentary to the Mock objects
project, but separate in the sense that it "closes the loop" on JDBC testing.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I AM APPLYING FOR A NON-GNU PROJECT, BUT SINCE THIS CAME
UP ON MY PRIOR SUBMISSION, HERE IS MY JUSTIFICATION.

JUSTIFICATION - Why this project would run on a GNU (free) based system.

My initial response to the question

"The key question here is to figure out if your project
can run on a Free Software Java suite"

is to say that it would, provided that the Free Software Java Suite implemented
java.net, java.io and java.lang, which I believe the CLASSPATH project provides.

My one outside dependency for this project is the original mockobjects project
(mockobjects.com/wiki). This project would also run on a free software system,
since it implements interfaces that Sun suggests, without providing non-free
implementations to those interfaces.

Other Software Required:
mockobjects.org/wiki

Other Comments: