[Savannah-hackers] submission of gDesklets - savannah.nongnu.org

From: martin
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of gDesklets - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:05:25 -0400

Martin Grimme <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: gDesklets
System name: gdesklets
Type: non-GNU

The project gdesklets provides a framework for Gnome 2.x for desktop applets.
Applets can e.g. be iconbars, newsreaders, status views... anything imaginable.
New applets (called displays) can be simply created by writing XML files.
Inspired by projects like Karamba on KDE, gdesklets also provides functionality
for eyecandy such as transparent windows.

gdesklets (Gnome Desktop Applets) is written in Python with using the
gtk-bindings PyGTK2. Python is powerful enough for this task and we believe
that the use of higher-level languages results in code that is much better
maintainable and better to debug.

Basically, gdesklets provides a framework for a model-view-controller system.
The model is the data to be monitored (this can be anything, e.g. CPU
temperature, free diskspace, an RSS news channel, ...)
The view is the display composed of several widgets. Composing is done with XML
definition files.
The controller (we call it Sensor) is the part that retrieves data, pushes it
to the display and may react on user interaction on the display. The set of
sensors is expansible since they are loaded dynamically at runtime.

Our goal is to provide some eyecandy to the Gnome desktop that is not only
beautiful but also useful.

Source code of the current program state is available at:
http://www.pycage.de/gDesklets-prerelease.tar.gz

Other Software Required:
gdesklets requires:
- Python 2.x
- a recent version of PyGTK 1.99.x  (x > 13)
- GConf

Other Comments:

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/