Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of CM4 Super Pack - savannah.nongnu.or

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of CM4 Super Pack - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:45:06 -0400

Even though your project is Free Software it can not be hosted
here.  We only host projects that can run on a free operating
system (such as Debian GNU/Linux).

We have adopted this policy because now that completely free operating
systems exist, we do not want to encourage users of those systems to
start using proprietary operating systems so that they can use your
program.

If you are willing to maintain a version for free operating systems,
which work as well as or better than other ports, you can
then provide versions for nonfree systems as well.  The idea is that at
no point should only-free users be at a disadvantage compared to users of
proprietary software.

Your project should always work equally well in free systems as in any
other version you provide; if you have some modules for nonfree
systems, you can delay their release until you have released the free
operating system version.

If you accept this commitment then please register your project again
and it should be approved in Savannah.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your project requires proprietary software and cannot be
hosted on Savannah for this reason.

Savannah is willing to provide resources and time to developers
writing Free Software that can be used without the need to ask
permission from proprietary software vendor.

Thank you for your understanding.

Rudy