[Savannah-hackers] submission of Gleam: Gnu Licensed Emulator of Arcade

From: steve
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Gleam: Gnu Licensed Emulator of Arcade M - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:00:01 -0400

Steve Nickolas <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Gleam: Gnu Licensed Emulator of Arcade M
System name: gleam
Type: non-GNU

The GLEAM project intends to create a GPL-licensed emulator of arcade machines,
which would be comparable in functionality to the MAME arcade machine emulator
(http://www.mame.net), and run primarily on various Unices (Linux,
predominantly, as that is what we currently use).  We intend to provide a truly
free arcade machine emulator (of course we do not plan to include any kind of
illegal ROM code, nor links thereto).

Our reason for starting this project is because we find MAME very useful for
our purposes, but we do not agree with their non-free licensing terms, and they
appear to have promised to return their code to GPL and then reneged on that
promise.  We will take what code we are legally entitled to (as early versions
of MAME up to 0.26.1 were in fact GPLed), and clean-room implement anything we
cannot utilize directly.  As is MAME, GLEAM will be written primarily in C, and
possibly with partial ASM (gas or nasm) sources.

Our ideal target system is a high-end Pentium 3/4-class PC running a distro of
Linux+GNU, but we hope to be compatible with other OSes as well.

Other Software Required:
We do not intend to use any non-free software dependencies.  However we may
need dependencies such as Allegro or SDL which, although not necessarily part
of a base "Free" OS, are also free software.

Other Comments:
It is perhaps important to note that while non-free "ROMS" are required for
most games, we will not provide them.  A small number (1 or 2) of games to be
supported are in the public domain.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/