[Savannah-hackers] submission of Buriti Experimental Routing Architectur

From: evertonsm
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Buriti Experimental Routing Architecture - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:10:23 -0400

Everton da Silva Marques <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Buriti Experimental Routing Architecture
System name: bera
Type: non-GNU

This project aims at building an experimental, proof-of-concept

implementation for a minimal suite of IP routing daemons. This

is a completely new project; there is no existing code or documentation.

We plan to borrow good ideas from other similar

free software projects like Quagga and Xorp. We

understand those projects have serious limitations

we want to address by proposing a new design/implementation.

Our first goal is to define a general design

from which we can derive loosely coupled stand-alone

modules. Such design is a work-in-progress. We\\\'d like

to expose it in Savannah so we can collect criticism and

work cooperatively on it.

The second goal is to use Java as a rapid prototyping

tool to quickly build the main modules so we can have a

semi-production software which we are able to use

to evaluate the main concepts. There are minimal

source code sketches on this idea.

Once the 2nd phase is complete, if we\\\'re still confident about

the design, we intend to replace the modules with

production-quality components. It\\\'s anticipated it may

be needed to rewrite some modules in other languages,

if any requirements (such as performance) demand so.

It worths noting that the project is going to rely heavily on:

1) existing free software libraries and tools;

2) open standards (like XML RPC, etc).

Underlaying objectives are to contribute with the development

of free software and the routing research community.

Other Software Required:
Other Software Required:

Java VM:         Kaffe/GCJ

Java Compiler:   Jikes/GCJ

Java Library:    Classpath/GCJ

Java Build Tool: Apache Ant

Java XML-RPC:    Apache XML-RPC

Other Free Software Java Tools

(such as Java Readline, JUnit, Log4j, ...)

Other Comments:
The original proposed project name was Buriti Open Routing Architecture.
"Mathieu Roy" <address@hidden> asked to replace

"Open" by "Free" in the name.

I can't think of a good acronym with the word "Free".

How about "Buriti Experimental Routing Architecture",

leading to "bera"?

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/