[Savannah-hackers] some project repositories may need chmod g+s [Re: ...

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] some project repositories may need chmod g+s [Re: .../coreutils owned by root?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:05:16 +0200

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jim Meyering <address@hidden> said:
>
>> FYI, my nightly rsync (uploading files to savannah) failed because the
>> ownership of /cvsroot/coreutils/coreutils was changed from `meyering'
>> to `root'.
>>
>> I've just renamed that to `root-owned' and restored a copy owned by me.
>> In case you want to examine that directory, I'm leaving it for 24 hours,
>> after which it'll be removed.
>
> No problem.
>
> I moved lot of data between the hard disk without using appropriately
> -p.
> It should have no consequences, since the group ownership is correctly
> set for every files. But maybe it brokes rsync on file upload in the
> CVS.
> (for CVS, no trouble)

If the other CVS repositories are like that of coreutils, then you
should run `chmod g+s ...' on them.  Otherwise, when someone cvs-adds a
new directory, its permissions will be incorrect.  As a test, I've just
`cvs add'ed coreutils/man/test and then checked the permissions of the
resulting new directory in the repository:

  subversions$ ls -ld test
     4 drwxrwsr-x    2 meyering nogroup      4096 Sep 18 04:47 test/

Note the `nogroup'.

Now that I've run `chmod -R g+s /cvsroot/coreutils/coreutils', such
a directory would be created with group `coreutil'.  In the case of
coreutils, it doesn't matter, since I'm the only one who modifies the
repository, but for projects with more than one person doing commits,
it would cause trouble.

Jim