[Savannah-hackers] CVS anonymous access enhancement proposal

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] CVS anonymous access enhancement proposal
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:36:55 +0200

Hello hackers,

after seeing some recurring issues from people migrating projects/usage from SourceForge (that includes me!), I have some 'fixes' to propose to you, comments on each one are very welcome :

1- SourceForge and many other sites tend to use the convention 'anonymous/(empty)' as a convention for the anonymous pserver access. Wishes in order of preference :

1a- modify sv_cvs so that both account 'anoncvs:anoncvs' and 'anonymous:' are created

1b- write a script that updates all untouched CVSROOT/passwd from Savannah projects to add retroactively the 'anonymous:' user

1c- maybe prefer documenting the 'anonymous:(empty)' access in the Savannah docs (in 5 years experience with CVS I believe it is the most widely used and expected)

2- The handy sv.gnu.org alias to savannah.gnu.org is not listening for incoming pserver (2401/TCP). If it does not compromise the security scheme of Savannah, it would be useful if we could pserver' on sv.gnu.org directly (hence the CC to Paul).