[Savannah-hackers] submission of Narya Forum and Project Incubator - sav

From: anansi
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Narya Forum and Project Incubator - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:22:51 -0400

Terry Hancock <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Narya Forum and Project Incubator
System name: narya
Type: non-GNU

The "Narya" Project is a web-application-based Forum and Project-Incubator
which will (eventually) combine discussion, workflow and content management,
collaborative development, full-text document and data archive,
brick-and-mortar library integration, collective financing, reverse auction,
catalog sales, and manufacturing and service resource planning into an open
free-market model based on the principles of open-source development. Its
central design paradigm is a hierarchical topic tree with multiple topic views
derived from content and integrated applications.

More detail is available at http://www.narya.net and links thereunder.

The last published source code may be found in the Sourceforge project CVS for
http://sourceforge.net/projects/spacelift .  I am currently in the middle of a
massive reorganization of the code, and have not uploaded the result.  However,
this does not involve substantial new code or dependencies so much as a
reorganization of existing code. Basically, I'm looking to start over with the
CVS, since the directory structure is now quite different from the original.

I wrote a paper for presentation at the 2003 International Space Development
Conference in San Jose, which is included in (gv-compatible) PDF at
http://www.anansispaceworks.com/papers_html

which describes the current design changes.

Other Software Required:
Python 2.1+

Zope 2.5.1+

VarImage 2.3+ (a Zope Product I maintain)

Various python libraries: stripogram, pystemmer, python imaging library

I expect to have components dependent on pythoncad, pyogg, pyvorbis, and
several other components. Maybe even Blender at some point. By its nature,
Narya will tend to accumulate a lot of dependencies, since it is basically a
highly-pluggable framework.

Regarding "Java 2" and the clientside, I've written a description of some of
the options at http://www.narya.net/client_html . We have a bit of a problem in
finding adequate clientside tools to integrate that don't require Swing or
other Java 2 features, and I feel I will need help from other people interested
in an effective free clientside for more advanced Narya features.  But this is
certainly an important goal for us.

Other Comments:
An older version of this project is in the Source Forge CVS for the "spacelift"
project, but there have been substantial changes, and the project has grown to
the point where it really needs to have its own site. Essentially this is a
point where we need a "new start" on the CVS, anyway. Eventually, of course,
Narya will be able to host its own project site, but it is not that stable yet
(by a long shot!).

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/