[Savannah-hackers] CVS repository going noexec and syncmail related thin

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] CVS repository going noexec and syncmail related thingies
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:31:42 +0200

Hello hackers,

here is some information that could make a Savannah news post, I let the admins judge/edit/post it. Due to some funny chaining of events, I happened to handle some consequences of the CVS repository going noexec (very nice idea BTW, rooting the old RedHats running on SF is way to easy - not that I tried :)).

--

For security reasons, the CVS repositories are now hosted on non-executable mounts. It means that if you uploaded various tools and script (most notably mail-on-commits items), they won't work from now. However the Savannah team tried to offer some (better) replacement solutions.

Syncmail users : the latest version from the main branch of Syncmail (revision 1.36 from http://syncmail.sf.net) has been installed. Please replace occurences of '$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/syncmail' with a simple 'syncmail' in your CVS control files.

Log_accum/Commit_prep users : Savannah has some in-house-tweaked versions installed that should still fit your needs. Strip '$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/' parts from the script inovocations.

CIAbot users : until someone comes up with a patch (ie. no hardcoded project values), we can't fix that issue.

Other strange scripts : please contact <address@hidden>.

Please note that the latest version of CVSreport (http://www.nongnu.org/cvsreport/) has been installed and can replace the previous scripts with more versatility in many cases. Add a single line like the following in your CVSROOT/commitinfo to try it :

ALL    cvsreport -e 'mail text+html address@hidden'

[Sorry for the inconvenience, happy hacking, etc ?]

--

If you hackers are okay with this, I'll update the Savannah docs accordingly.

I've also grepped for all exec'able in projects CVSROOTs, the list is in /root/cvsroot_script_list. Maybe it would be helpful to be preventive about bugreports (this is what triggered my action) and try to forward this message directly to the admins of the identified projects (they are 'only' 32). List attached.
a2ps
adonthell
cp-tools
directvnc