Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Habitat 3D Game Engine - savannah.n

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Habitat 3D Game Engine - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:38:37 -0400

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:30:45AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Mike Stoddart <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: lgpl
> Other License:
> Package: Habitat 3D Game Engine
> System name: habitat
> Type: non-GNU

> "Habitat" is my experiment at making a simple OpenGL based 3D game engine.
> I'm more concerned with learning how the various parts of a game engine work
> together than becoming an OpenGL expert. My main goal is to create a flexible
> engine that can be used for many types of games.
>

> The Habitat Game Engine consists of several components:
>

> - Core Engine
>
> - Audio Engine
>
> - Input Engine
>
> - Render/GUI Engine
>
> - Game Engine
>
> - Network Engine
>
> - SDL Engine
>
> - Win32 Engine
>
> - Console Engine
>
> - Test Applications
>

> Individual projects may only need certain components. For example, a server
> application might use the Core, Network and Game engines.
>

> The Habitat Game Engine uses the following libraries:
>

> - FMod for audio support.
>
> - Lua/ToLua for scripting.
>
> - SDL for OpenGL, window and input support.
>
> - TinyXML for some data files.
>

> The following keys are available in this demo.
>

> tab        - toggle the console.
>
> F1         - toggle the about GUI.
>
> F2         - toggle the test GUI.
>
> escape     - exit the application.
>
> wasd       - move the camera.
>
> down arrow - scroll the console/text areas down a single line.
>
> up arrow   - scroll the console/text areas up a single line.
>
> page down  - scroll the console/text areas down a page.
>
> page up    - scroll the console/text areas up a page.
>
> home       - jump to the beginning of the console/text areas.
>
> end        - jump to the end of the console/text areas.
>
> ctrl+home  - jump to the beginning of the text field.
>
> ctrl+end   - jump to the end of the text field.
>

> The in-game console can be used enter Lua scripts. Note that not all keyboard
> symbols are supported yet. Errors resulting from script compilation are
> displayed in the console and in the log file. To quit the demo, type Quit()
> into the console and press enter. Note that Lua is case-sensitive.
>

> The current GUI components are very basic, and look poor when rendered. I may
> switch from rendering OpenGL quads to drawing bitmaps for components such as
> frames, text fields and text areas. This will allow some sort of "theme"
> system to be implemented and will allow for much nicer looking interfaces. So
> for now, please don't comment on the ugliness of the interface.
>

> Source code and demos are available from:
>

> http://prodigy.openglforums.com/downloads/HabitatLinuxDemo.tar.gz
>
> http://prodigy.openglforums.com/downloads/HabitatWindowsDemo.zip
>
> http://prodigy.openglforums.com/downloads/HabitatSDK.zip
>

> Other Software Required:
> [...]

Your project requires proprietary software and cannot be
hosted on Savannah for this reason.

Savannah is willing to provide resources and time to developers
writing Free Software that can be used without the need to ask
permission from proprietary software vendor.

You are welcome to resubmit your project when you replaced FMOD with
e.g. SDL_Mixer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms