[Savannah-hackers] submission of Cofi: A Java-Based Collaborative Filter

From: lemire
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Cofi: A Java-Based Collaborative Filtering Library - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:30:34 -0500

Daniel Lemire <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Cofi: A Java-Based Collaborative Filtering Library
System name: cofi
Type: non-GNU

Cofi: A Java-Based Collaborative Filtering Filtering Library

http://www.daniel-lemire.com/COFI/

Goals

Collaborative filtering is the process of predicting ratings based on a
database of ratings from various users. It is widely applicable to e-Commerce,
e-Learning, and so on.

Currently, programmers who want to use collaborative filtering have to read the
literature and implement their own algorithms. More often than not, programmers
probably design their own algorithms and they will generally produce suboptimal
algorithms. We want to build a foundation of already tested algorithms and
documented that can be used in a wide range of contexts from research to
applications.

The guiding principle is that the design should be thin. Cofi doesn\\\'t want
to be all things for all people. So the focus is on delivering very few lines
of code, and to rely on the programmer for providing the necessary glue.

There is one open source Java-based collaborative filtering library available
called CFEngine written by professor Jon Herlocker. CFEngine is somewhat more
extensive than Cofi and aims to be the Apache of collaborative filtering.
CFEngine is probably going to be licensed under a BSD-like license though this
is not explicit. The design goals are different since CFEngine wants to provide
a complete solution to collaborative filtering needs which Cofi doesn\\\'t. We
also expect the algorithms to differ.

Licensing

GPL, of course.

Who are we?

The project is lead by Daniel Lemire, researcher at the National Research
Council of Canada.

Where\\\'s the source?

You can download our Java source package. It requires gnu.trove (LGPL) and
junit (CPL) libraries. Some code expects JSci (LGPL) though it isn\\\'t
necessary to use the library.

http://www.daniel-lemire.com/COFI/cofi_code.zip

Suitability

The library is used as part of RACOFI web site which is a live Music
Recommender site and has been used for research ( COLA and IR). While it
isn\\\'t a mature library, it is certainly quite usable in many real-world
applications.

Other Software Required:
We require the gnu.trove (LGPL) and junit (CPL) libraries. Some code expects
JSci (LGPL) though it isn't necessary.

We support GCJ (free java environment) under gcc 3.2.2 (and above).

Other Comments:
I think this would be the first and only Java-Based collaborative filtering
library to be GPL.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/