[Savannah-hackers] submission of Python ODBC - savannah.nongnu.org

From: mardy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Python ODBC - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:00:39 -0500

Mardy <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: The Python License (http://www.python.org/2.3.2/license.html)
which is OSI approved.
Package: Python ODBC
System name: pyodbc
Type: non-GNU

There are currently two ODBC modules for python; one of these is commercial
(see http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC.html; it has a dual license, an
open-source one for private use, and a commercial one for commercial use),
while the other is free (see below for clarifications) but works only in
Windows (it is included in the win32all package).

I've modified it to have it compile and work under Linux (with the unixODBC
package, but I guess even iODBC might be used), but I think the driver needs
many improvements and corrections, which I believe only a group of developers
can do; so I'm willing to open a project for it.

The original source code is at
http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html

Since the source code consists of just two files, I've emailed them to Mathieu
Roy <address@hidden>.

As for the license: the original module comes with this sentence in the
odbc.cpp source file:

"Donated to the Python community by EShop, who can not support it!"

And this strange license in the License.txt file:

=========

Unless stated in the specfic source file, this work is

Copyright (c) 1994-2001, Mark Hammond

All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions

are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,

this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright

notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in

the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Neither name of Mark Hammond nor the name of contributors may be used

to endorse or promote products derived from this software without

specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS

IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED

TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A

PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR

CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,

EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,

PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR

PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF

LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING

NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS

SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

==========

I email Mark Hammond about the licensing:

==========

> Hi!

>   I've modified the ODBC module of the win32all package to

> make it work

> in Linux, and I'd like to release it.

> I'm uncertain about the license, since I would like to GPL-ize it. May

> I?

The odbc module is released under the PSA license.  I believe that this

license does allow you to re-license under GNU, but I am not a lawyer.

Mark.

===========

I think he meant the Python license, but I don't know.

If the license is unclear, I can apply my modifications to the original source
donated by Eshop, which I guess is public domain.

Other Software Required:
unixODBC od iODBC

Other Comments:
The project should be named "pyodbc", and not "pyodbc2"; I had tryed before to
register this project, but then I stopped the registration. Looks like the
registration process didn't free the name "pyodbc".

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/