[Savannah-hackers] Savannah overload issues

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah overload issues
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:13:58 +0100

Hello,

some people might have noticed we have had some ponctual troubles on Savannah since a week. It just happened again (around 5pm EST). I will now actively try to track the problem and also install some preventive measures.

Technically, a CVS process launched from xinetd and doing a regular anonymous checkout with Unix account anoncvs is allocating memory forever (claiming 600-800MB out of 1GB physical). Apache and MySQL, in dire of memory, start to swap frantically and basically everything stop responding.

I did not think about stracing it before killing it, and since all useful info travel through the pserver protocol, I don't have much info. I'll try to correlate the process start time with the CVS project histories. I suggest the next admin running in this kind of trouble does the following :

 - find the top memory consumer: ps -afux -O-r|head
- trace it a few minutes : strace -p <pid> 2>cvs.strace (Ctrl+C to end)
 - 'fix' the immediate pb      : kill -9 <pid>
 - notify me :)

Thanks for your attention...