[Savannah-hackers] Arch support for Savannah?

From: Samuel A. Falvo II
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Arch support for Savannah?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:23:25 -0800

I have reviewed the savannah-hackers archives, and I could not find any
information on the confirmed support of arch with Savannah.  To date,
I've seen a lot of concerns posted, by many people, which suggests to me
that nobody actually sticks with the research required (probably due to
schedule, which is understandable).

I would like to point out a few things which might be of some assistance:

* Arch is wholesale independent of CVS.  The two systems can live
together.  An arch repository is, in my experience at least, created in
the home directory of the user who created the archive (based on
experience with the `tla' version of Arch).

* Arch can be used with existing HTTP-compatible infrastructure (e.g.,
web services) to perform its remote capabilities.  Obviously, this is
read-only.  For read/write support, perhaps WebDAV can be used.
Alternatively, ...

* ... a (perhaps restricted) shell account would be needed to
periodically update the project archive from other remote archives via
the star-merge facility.  If shell access is not desirable, perhaps a
CGI can be written to automate this process.

I was considering hosting my project on Savannah.nongnu.org, but if it
lacks Arch support, I might as well just host it myself, and use
Savannah only for mailing list or other small resources as I need them.

If you can cc: me on any replies, that'd be great.  Otherwise, it'll take
a bit of time before I can check replies.  Thanks for your time, and I
look forward to hearing from you.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II