[Savannah-hackers] Re: License compatibility

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: License compatibility
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:31:11 +0100

Vincent Caron <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> Cheyenne wrote:
>> I'm  a  little  confused  about  some  licensing  issues.   My
>> project,
>> swtscore, has  been accepted on  savannah. This project,  released under
>> GPL, uses  SWT, released under CPL,  as GUI library. But  I've just seen
>> that            CPL            is            GPL            incompatible
>> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html).
>>
>> Does that mean  that I will have  to change the license of  my program ?
>
> CPL is a free license, that's why it was accepted on Savannah. However
> it is true that you cannot combine CPL 1.0 and GPL v2. It looks like
> this issue is more or less debated, maybe you could send some
> encouragements to the Eclipse and SWT people to update their licensing
> scheme to something GPL compatible, it would benefit everybody.
>
>  From here, you can either choose another toolkit (like GTK+), or
> relicense your project (CPL or BSD comes to mind). You'll have to
> contact us again to change the displayed licensed on your project page
> when you have made up your mind.

Note that the CPL, as it is incompatible with the GPL, will not be
accepted.

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |