Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Yaroslav Klyukin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:52:20 -0400

Sylvain Beucler wrote:

Ok. I think I am missing something important here.
How do you distinguish a software that was written by GNU people from the software, that just uses GPL license?
In both cases it will contain GPL license.

Do you differentiate between the two cases?

I always thought that if somebody wrote a piece of code and used GPL license, this software will be called GNU.

Not at all! :)
Check:
http://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?group_id=5802&question=What_does_it_mean_to_become_a_GNU_package.txt
and:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#TOCallgpled

I just re-read the FAQ, but still did not get an answer for my question, which is: How do I distinguish between GNU and non-GNU software, just given the software? In other words, do GNU people mark those pieces of software, that the agreed upon to be a GNU software? If yes, where in the code or documentation to find an identification that the software is in fact GNU?

It makes it double difficult to calculate GNU involvement in FreeBSD,
because of the misconceptions mentioned above:
1. Can software which uses GPL license be called GNU?
2. Do we count only the base of the OS, or the whole distribution,
most of which consists of ports?

Maybe not perfectly related, but:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#TOCmany
and:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#TOCwhyorder

I got answer for the first question.
Correct me if I misunderstand it.
The GNU software is the one that is agreed to be GNU by GNU community.

What about the second question?