Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:34:29 +0200

Actually, I think we cannot work efficiently if we cannot first have a fruitful argument.

First, I would like to know whether you reply to e-mails as you read them, or if, as I do, you read it entirely before to think of a reply. I expect the other Savannah hackers to read entirely not only an e- mail, but its thread, before to make a reply (especially for support requests).

Then, I'll assume the points you raised tells what points you did not understand.

So,

[Naming an OS]

I can be my OS, yours, or RedHat's, or partialy yours+mine+RedHat's, it does not justify an improper name, and we encourage people to call it properly. Is this ok? If not, what makes you think we cannot encourage people to use the name we think fits better?

[free software]

Let's keep that for tomorrow's debates.

[Naming a suite a pieces of software]

I call an OS a group of pieces of software (to name them neutraly), of course meant to form an OS, and meant to work with each others. The fact this set of pieces of software comes with an easy installer on 1 DVD, or is made using the LFS-like guide with links all over the net, is irrevelent IMHO. The fact we could replace all this pieces of software using another, eg X11 by Quartz, or BSD-libc by glibc, or core-utils by Sun's POSIX tools, is also irrevelent IMHO. If you disagree with my version, do you have a better formal definition of an OS?

Last, as Dale Mellor (GNU Mcron's maintainer) says:
"Despite the brusque/curmudgeonly/terse nature of my e-mails I am
really a nice guy and wish you well."
:)

--
Sylvain