[Savannah-help-public] [sr #106309] add support for mercurial vcs

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #106309] add support for mercurial vcs
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 08:41:00 +0000

I rebuilt a new image.

> if you want you can install postfix and I will include minimal
> instructions to use a smarthost (e.g. gmail) in order to send
> mail.

Done.

> - Could you please also install mercurial?

I installed it too (package from backports.org).
Note that you can install any package you want, using APT. Fix sources.list
first though.

> - The source code of savane in /usr/src/savane has some
> problems in the po directory. With problems, I mean you
> can not do a "git pull", you need to first remove some
> of the .po files and pull again.

The .po files are not necessarily in sync with the PHP sources in the Git
repository, which means they'll be updated during 'make'. This may cause
troubles indeed. A 'git checkout po/' reverts the local changes. Maybe .po
shouldn't be updated on 'make'.

> - I guess the intention is to work with the source code in
> /usr/src/savane and then install it to /var/www.

Yes, there's a symlink in /var/www

> Has the install script in /root anything to do with that?

Nope, this install script is for reference only. It's the way Savane was
installed in the minimal Etch system produced by debootstrap (that's part of
the disk image building process). You'll use this file if you want to
reinstall Savane somewhere else.

> Basically the question is, if I make changes to
> /usr/src/savane, what's the best (cleanest) way to
> proceed to update /var/www/savane?

It's a symlink, so it's automatic for the frontend.
For the backend, you need 'make install'.

> - Regarding the /usr/src/savane, wouldn't it be safer
> to create a savane user and move the source code to its
> home?

I don't think so. Files currently belong to root, just like any other program
installed on the system. If you're uncomfortable running as root (which
doesn't really matter in a disk image) you can create the 'savane' user.

> I am planning to create a newbie development document
> (Texinfo) or wiki page with things I am finding.

OK, I'm looking forward to reading it.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106309>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/