Re: [Savannah-help-public] How to redirect mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org ->

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] How to redirect mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org -> mxe.cc
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 16:11:06 +0200

Dear list,

This is a follow-up to my previous how-to [1].  I made
some progress and I'd like to share my insights with
the public.

As a reminder, I decided to host the project website
of "mingw-cross-env" at http://mxe.cc/ and thus needed
to install the respective HTTP redirects:

    http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/*     -> http://mxe.cc/*
    http://www.nongnu.org/mingw-cross-env/* -> http://mxe.cc/*

My previous solution [1] was a bit disappointing, but
in the meantime, I got in touch with a Savannah admin.
He enabled .htaccess for both URLs. Happy with that, my
first attempt was the following very simple .htaccess:

    RedirectPermanent  /  http://mxe.cc/

This worked fine for the first URL, but it caused the
second URL "www.nongnu.org/mingw-cross-env" to be redirected
to "mxe.cc/mingw-cross-env" instead of "mxe.cc".

So I had to change my .htaccess as follows:

    RedirectPermanent  /mingw-cross-env/  http://mxe.cc/
    RedirectPermanent  /mingw-cross-env   http://mxe.cc/
    RedirectPermanent  /                  http://mxe.cc/

Now everything works fine. I hope this little report will
help other project maintainers who face a similar issue.

Regards,
Volker

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2012-04/msg00009.html

--