[sr #110158] All files attached to the bug or patch tracker of GNU Octav

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110158] All files attached to the bug or patch tracker of GNU Octave are lost
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 04:08:54 -0500 (EST)

Please look for the attachments again.

Long details:

We are in the process of upgrading the web UI frontend system to the next
version of the OS.  Doing this by cloning the system, then upgrading the
clone, then testing the newly upgraded clone off to the side so that we don't
thrash the production frontend too much while we work the bugs out of the new
system.

The attachments previously were directly on the local system.  As you can
imagine the clone would have a separate copy.  Then whichever system is in use
and in testing would then have a "split brain" problem of new attachments
might get added to one or the other.  That does not work very well if we
switch in an upgraded frontend which has a separate attachment area.

In order to simplify the upgrade I moved the attachment area to an NFS mounted
location where it would be shared between both of the frontend servers.  This
is similar to what is done on the other systems.  That allows multiple systems
to share access to the same storage area.  It allows both the old and new web
UI frontend system to share access to the attachments directory.  One shared
brain.  No split brain.

But the old system has a known buggy problem with NFS mounts timing out while
looking for a kerberus daemon.  We aren't running kerberus and are affected by
the old bug which has been fixed on the newer OS version.  So this is just a
temporary problem on the old system while we set up the new one and will
disappear entirely when we switch on the new system.

And then the old frontend happened to be rebooted and the NFS mount did not
mount at boot time due to the bug in the old OS.  That made all of the
attachments appear to have disappeared because the shared NFS directory as not
mounted.  I am sorry.  I knew the system had gotten rebooted but I was
distracted and it slipped my mind that the NFS mount would fail again when it
booted.  I have just now manually mounted them again.  And therefore all of
the attachments should be showing up again.  Assuming that was the problem
here.  I assume that it was.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110158>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/