Re: [Savannah-hackers-private] Volunteering

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-private] Volunteering
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 16:58:56 +1000

Hi Gabriele

I also hope you and your family are safe and well.
Thank you for the follow-up.

> > I would (ideally) like to focus on:
> >
> > · Administer the savannah servers and services.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I understood that these activities will be
difficult to start right now because the potential mentors are busy evaluating
new project submissions (the ones you are referring to in the next paragraph).
To my knowledge, the best way to help with this is by helping out with these
submissions queue, and then checking this again in about a month's time to see
if someone is available to help you learn the GNU Savannah internals.

> > · Improve the GNU Savannah wiki.

Where would you like to improve the wiki?

In my opinion, for example, it is not translated. Personally I see this an
important issue. Would you be able to assist with configuration of
internationalization for the wiki?

> > Additionally, I may be glad to evaluate and approve non-gnu projects
> > submitted for hosting, and perhaps - eventually - be able to develop new
> > features for the savannah environment.

I am not an expert in this, but I believe one of the best ways to get involved
in this activity is by subscribing to savannah-register-public@gnu.org, and by
creating an account at GNU Savannah; in this case you will receive
notifications of new "Register New Project" submissions, and will be able to
download the archives and comment on the submission. Where required, you could,
for example, ask the author to
* correct mistakes in their submission (commonly the files are missing
copyright headers)
* clarify the dependencies and their licensing
* clarify anything else that seems missing or vague about their project meeting
the criteria for being hosted at GNU Savannah

The official documentation about this kind of volunteering is located here:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToBecomeASavannahHacker/

Regards,
Svetlana