[Savannah-register-public] [task #5278] Submission of FTP Filesystem (v3

From: Victor Porton
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5278] Submission of FTP Filesystem (v3) for GNU/Linux
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:09:19 +0500

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=8372>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  FTP Filesystem (v3) for GNU/Linux

System Group Name:
-----------------
  ftpfs

Type:
-----
  Official GNU software

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

------------
  The project is to make FTP filesystem for GNU/Linux (and possibly other
OSes). Purpose: mount directory on an FTP server. (Other TCP based
filesystems, especially text protocol based, should be added, e.g. CVS
filesystem, probably HTTP, etc., probably also some other network filesystems
may be added.)
The current implementation uses LUFS (Linux Userland Filesystem)
[http://lufs.sf.net] but it should be rewritten to use FUSE
[http://fuse.sf.net] instead. (Afterwards it may be rewritten to use
Mach/GNU).
Written in C++. Includes a simple wrapper around CommonC++ TCP library. TCP
support can be easily ported (thanks to use standard C++ iostreams) to use
other C++ TCP libraries (by configure option).
Using C++ and our own FTP implementation allows to make fast, powerful,
flexible and little depended on other packages FTP implementation, to be
suitable for efficient OS support of FTP directories.
In the future GNU/Linux it should become the only FTP client, which will
replace all other FTP client libraries, because having FTP libraries is
superfluos as FTP is a file system and should be accessed as file system, not
with a special library unrelated with filesystems. (Advanced control over FTP
could be done via ioctl's or likewise.)
The FTP client implementation is based on FTP implementation from ftps from
LUFS. (Currently the only big change is that C networking code is replaced
with OO C++ code which uses a C++ class library for doing TCP.)
More info at http://freesoft.ex-code.com/ftpfs.xml
Source: http://freesoft.ex-code.com/binaries/ftpfs-v3-0.1.2.tar.gz
The current version is already functional but has bugs, including too slow
FTP download (because of a bug in CommonC++ or maybe Linux kernel, which I
has reported to CommonC++ developers).
There are other FTP filesystems for Linux but these are either abandoned
projects, written in an interpreted language, buggy, or miss important
features while are hardly extensible/modificable by design (being written in
C). So all other FTP fs projects are unsuitable to be the FTP filesystem for
GNU project.

Other Software Required:
------------------------
  1. LUFS (should be replaced with FUSE);
2. CommonC++ (should by configure option be replaceable with other TCP C++
libraries, e.g. skstreams);
3. standard C++ library (for iostreams).

Other Comments:
  I have choosen "Official GNU software" meaning that I want to apply this
project to become a part of GNU in the future. Your explanation on the entry
form of the project type are VERY vague (please, correct that page). So I'm
not sure whether I entered it correctly. If I entered project type wrongly
please correct it. Note that now it does not conform to GNU standards. (It is
required to convenient maintaining applying patches borrowed from other
projects.) I deem it should be changed to conform to GNU standards in the
future, after all patches will be borrowed.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5278>