[Savannah-register-public] [task #6189] Submission of GNU/Linux User Gro

From: Debarshi Ray
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #6189] Submission of GNU/Linux User Group, National Institute
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 07:09:55 +0000

> As you seem to have a homepage, mailing lists, some webspace
> for your downloads and such already I am wondering about how
> you plan to use your Savannah account. Could you please
> clarify this point

Although we do have some webspace donated to us by the institute (National
Institute of Technology, Hamirpur, India), it is on a temporary basis.
However this is not a pressing problem since we can convince them to extend
the duration of the donation.

However the university's strict network policy do not allow SSH access to our
server from locations outside the campus. One can only have SSH access from
within the private network in the campus. This causes certain problems for
us. Since our user group mostly consists of end-users, rookie developers,
faculty members and research scholars, there are only a couple of people
capable enough to perform system administration duties for the machine on
which our Web site (http://glug-nith.org/) and FTP site
(ftp://glug-nith.org/) are hosted. Whenever these GLUG-NITH system
administrators are absent from the campus during vacations, go on tours, or
finally graduate, maintaining the server becomes a major problem.

We can continue to have the HTTP and FTP services running on our machines,
but the mailing list will be the cornerstone and an important infrastructure
for evolving the community. Therefore we are looking for a place like
Savannah, where we will have to perform lesser amount of maintainence related
activities. This will ensure that the list remains free from disruptions
caused by our absence from the campus, which may otherwise affect the Web and
FTP sites.