[Savannah-register-public] [task #8877] Submission of I2C Tools for Linu

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #8877] Submission of I2C Tools for Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:59:57 +0000

Hi Sebastian,

Sorry for my silence, this has been a very busy week for me.

Yes I am still interested in my projected being hosted on Savannah. I have
been working in the items from comment #1 already.

- With regards to GPL license notes all having the "or any later version"
clause, I am afraid I can't do that. I have clarified all files where the GPL
license note was missing or incomplete, however there is one piece of the
project (py-smbus) which has been specifically released by its author as GPL
version 2 only. Not being the copyright owner, I can't change this. If this is
going to be a blocker, please tell me now.

- Copyright years: I am in the process of updating all the files, but
checking who touched the file in what year exactly takes some time. I am not
even sure what years should be listed, any year the author changed something
to the file, or all years from the initial commit to the last change?

I admit I don't really get the point of listing all the years one by one. As
far as I know, copyright years are only useful for 2 things: prior art and end
of copyright. For the former, what matters is the first year, for the latter
it is the last year, so I am really curious why it matters so much to list all
the years in between.

- With regards to the word "Linux", indeed these tools are tightly related to
the Linux kernel, so all occurrences of "Linux" refer to the kernel itself and
not the operating system and thus do not need to be changed to "GNU/Linux". I
have added the sentence you suggested to the README file.

I will attach the source tree I have come up with for your reference.

I still would like to know whether it will be possible to import the SVN
history into Savannah or not.

  Message posté via/par Savannah