[Savannah-register-public] [task #10305] Submission of Sila

From: Chi-kwan Chan
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10305] Submission of Sila
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 03:05:16 +0000

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for reviewing my submission!  Let me first respond to the issues
you pointed out:
* I try to make Sila follow the GNU coding standard.  I also read a few other
packages (such as coreutils and fftw3) and try to follow their styles.  In
fftw3, the files AUTHORS, README, NEWS, TODO, etc don't have license headers.
Nevertheless, in coreutils, I do find license "footers" in HACKING, README,
etc.  I also notice the emacs README has another style...  Do you recommend me
to follow the coreutils style?
* Sure I will put the license headers back to the script files.
* "Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics" (CfA) is a joined institute
of Harvard College Observatory and the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory.
(See <http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/about/>.)  I am in one of its division called
the "Institute for Theory and Computation" (ITC).  I asked our director long
time ago.  Because I'm paid by ITC, either CfA or ITC holds part of the
copyright of my software.  Although they are totally fine to make the software
open source.
* I don't need to maintain a copy of libtool by myself.  Instead, I use
libtoolize to add sila/libltdl automatically (see line 27 in
sila/bootstrap.sh).  When I need to create a distribution, all I need is `sh
bootstrap.sh; ./configure; make distcheck`.

However, before I start making change to the source code, let me also ask a
few additional questions.

* I notice that coreutils uses the GNU Free Documentation License v1.3 for
README etc.  If I use the GNU Free Documentation License for my documents,
will it complicate the copying of the project?
* I use git.  Because the current and older versions of my code do not
contain proper license headers, can I still upload the whole git repository to
Savannah?

Thanks!
CK