[task #15583] Submission of Mu (Miscellaneous Utilities)

From: Ineiev
Subject: [task #15583] Submission of Mu (Miscellaneous Utilities)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 02:02:46 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #33, task #15583 (project administration):

> It doesn't explicitly mention license texts though. Since license texts
rarely change, I don't think the license modules would be useful even for
developers that prefer to include generated files in VCS. I think it would be
better to simply copy the license files. At the very least, these issues
should be mentioned in the documentation. In fact, the Gnulib manual has a
section describing the license modules
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/License-Texinfo-sources.html>,
but it doesn't mention these issues.

That documentation is evidently incomplete.  Those files are for including in
Texinfo documentation.  According to GPL Howto
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html>, the package should come with a
copy of the license in the text format.

> I guess it's to ensure that every developer (and users that check out from
git) can get a copy of the license, even if they don't have Gnulib installed?

Yes, https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude and
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NoticeInSourceFile

> Well I included the license files in the tarball I attached in my last
message.

Thank you, approving.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15583>

  Message sent via Savannah