[Savannah-users] Re: [Savannah-announce] Replacing FTP queue with SFTP?

From: Andreas K. Foerster
Subject: [Savannah-users] Re: [Savannah-announce] Replacing FTP queue with SFTP?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 04:44:54 +0100 (MET)

Am Donnerstag, dem 02. Nov 2006 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:

> We're considering providing SFTP access to the download
> area.

I have already experimented with it.

With SFTP it is even possible to create symbolic links. :-)
So you can have static package names, which always link to the most
actual version... I hope that I will stay able to maintain them in
the future.

see http://download.sv.nongnu.org/releases/akfquiz/
(By the way, it is also accessible with nongnu replaced with gnu.
Is that a bug? It is definitely not a GNU package (yet?))

Furthermore I could also use "scp" to upload files. That might also be
interesting. To some people that might be easier.

> It will be troublesome to keep both the old FTP queue
> system and SFTP at the same time though.

Why? Is there any connection?

> Would it be OK to disable the FTP queue and replace it with SFTP?
> Please send comments at address@hidden :)

For me it is okay.
The FTP method wasn't very convenient either and it was extremely limited
in what you can do.

The only concern I have is, that unfortunately not all ssh
implementations are compatible to each other. So it might be a problem
for some people.

What I really would like to have is, that others can download the files
by anonymous FTP.

--
AKFoerster