Re: [Savannah-users] Migration from SourceForge

From: list
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Migration from SourceForge
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:39:01 +0100

Am Mittwoch, dem 28. Jan 2009 schrieb Frank:

> Hi,    I'm taking over as the maintainer of an otherwise abandoned project
> hosted on SourceForge.  Does Anyone know of any potential copyright issues?

How can we know about copyright issues without knowing what project you are
talking about, or even which license it uses?

If it is under a Free Software license, there shouldn't be any problems.
Either you are allowed to rerelease the project or it isn't free.

There may be trademark issues, which means you may be required to release
it under a different name and replace the logos. But this has nothing to
do with copyright. Patents are again another kettle of fish.

>  If it makes a difference, the project was first registered on Freshmeat on
> October 5th, 1999, and last update on September 17th, 2001.

If it's clearly documented that the project is under a Free Software license,
you should be fine.

IANAL: I am not a lawyer.

--
AKFoerster