Re: [Savannah-users] Re: Hosting of FLOSS project that links against pro

From: Donn
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Re: Hosting of FLOSS project that links against proprietary libraries
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 05:05:44 +0200

On Friday 11 December 2009 01:30:26 Karl Berry wrote:
> However, in general I don't see anything wrong with using
> NaturallySpeaking (or proprietary software XYZ) for the specific purpose
> of replacing it.  That is exactly what rms had to do to bootstrap GNU,
> wrt proprietary Unixes and cc's, as has been pointed out.

This thread has raised a very pointed ethical dilemma: does one sleep with the
'enemy' until one can build one's own bed?

Clearly the nascent Free Software World had to do so.

I don't have a clear view of the mendacity surrounding voice-control and text-
to-speech and other disability-related ideas from the blackmail of patents and
lawyers. It could be that the *only* way to help people who simply CANNOT use
ANY computer without them would be to make a special case and compromise in
this one area.
The extents of that compromise could be identified and this would prevent any
snowballing effect -- it would also help identify what beds need to be built.

Start a new domain: savannah.disability.org -- with a mandate and a goal.

\d
--
\/\/ave: address@hidden
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/