[Savannah-users] news spamming on savannah -> ui for comments disabled

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-users] news spamming on savannah -> ui for comments disabled
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 18:20:55 GMT

Due to massive spamming of the "news" (aka forums) on savannah in recent
weeks, I've removed the UI that allows posting of comments on news
items.  This applies to both gnu and nongnu.

*Original* news items can still be submitted and approved and posted as
usual, it's just replies and follow-ups which are disabled (I hope).

In practice, it seems that this was rarely or never used
legitimately (anyone who was actually making use of it ... sorry).
We'll work on deleting all the thousands of junk msgs which have
accumulated in coming days.  There is no need to report them.

If we ever manage to stop spammers from signing up on savannah, and if
the feature is useful to anyone, we could reenable it.

If questions or problems, let us know on the savannah-hackers-public
list or via the tracker at
https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?group=administration.

Best,
Karl