Re: [Savannah-users] new project submissions disabled

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] new project submissions disabled
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 01:08:30 GMT

Hi Steve,

    Although in some departments Savannah and the GNU effort generally
    seem to be functioning well,

I would not say Savannah is "functioning well".  More like "limping
along with a minimal number of people [two] having a minimal amount of
time available".

    lately I've noticed several projects that appear
    to have been abandoned many years ago.

This isn't really an issue for the savannah-users list.  So for here,
let me just say that:

1) https://savannah.gnu.org/people/?type_id=1 shows only job
   requests for GNU packages.  (I realize many of the postings are old.
   If individual maintainers don't choose to use the feature, well,
   that's their choice.)

2) the list of officially unmaintained packages is on the www.gnu.org
   home page, among other places.  (I realize you were thinking about
   more than just completely unmaintained packages, but.)

3) Over the last umpteen years, I have contacted the maintainers of all
   listed GNU packages and gotten at least some sort of reply.  But when
   people tell me they are active but never actually make a release (or
   whatever), it is hard to make progress, since "we" (ultimately rms)
   are extremely reluctant to simply discharge quiescent volunteers,
   though it has happened occasionally.  That's life in a far-flung
   volunteer organization.

I'll send you a more detailed reply personally.  (Tomorrow, I hope.)

Best,