Re: [Savannah-users] Git repo for a fork

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Git repo for a fork
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:00:33 +0200

2012/4/23 Stayvoid <address@hidden>:
>> Of course, but my point is, if you can cooperate with the maintainers
>> instead of producing an independent work and fragmenting what users see,
>> that would be nice.
> Maintainers asked me about it. They want to pull my code.
> (I can't push to the main branch because my code is not good enough.)

Then why don't they create a branch for you in the Savannah repo?
You could push onto that branch?

Other projects like CMake offer 2 repos, one "main" and one "stage"
stage is pushable for registered developers where any "reasonable"
branch initially taken from main/master can be pushed.

Project admin. & developer do merge from stage to main when needed.

In fact it is a little more complicated than this but you get the idea,
details are here:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git/Develop

May be Savannah could offer such "dual repo" for each hosted project,
with a "stage" one where contributors could put their shareable branches?

I cannot evaluate the work for doing that but I can say that the
workflow is efficient
and I use it since CMake made the CVS to git switch (2+ years ago).

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org